25 Things to consider when buying a property, irrespective of whether it is an investment property or a family home.
- Age – does it matter when the property was built?
- Purpose – home, office, holiday, rental, income, commercial
- Size – space vs upkeep, number of bedrooms & bathrooms
- Location – location, location, right?
- Neighborhood – amenities, schools, transport, recreation
- Readiness – do you want to renovate or just move in?
- Impression – what does the property say about you?
- Costs – rates & taxes, transfer & bond costs, renovations, VAT
- Value – price vs valuation, bargain vs offering too much
- Lifestyle – stairs, age, entertaining, guests, does it suit you?
On the inside
- Style – does it fit in with your taste and preferences?
- Examples – modern, traditional, warm, cozy, casual, vast
- Space – floor plan – open plan vs enclosed rooms
- Consider – what do you like and dislike about the property?
- Change – can you easily rectify potential issues?
- Needs – anything in specific, kitchen, bathroom, stairs?
On the outside
- Type – bachelor, flat, house, multi-family, corporate, office?
- Size – size of the property, erf, open spaces, all in sqm?
- Stories – ground floor only, stairs, lifts, views, balconies, decks
- Parking – visitors, open, carports, number of bays or garages
- Architecture – what styles do your prefer and does it matter?
- Exterior – side walls, paint, face brick, glass, walls, fencing
- Security – gates, access, armed response, electrified fencing
- Features – deck, pool, braai, hotel, boardroom, conferencing
- More – what else, anything we have missed?
Steps when buying a property
- Decision – timing, investment, growth, emotions, decide
- Agent – a good agent saves you both time and money
- Finance – pre-approved, certificate, better rates, negotiate
- Select – pinpoint properties that fit your requirements, agent
- Offer – price, terms, deposit, bond, costs, conditions, contract
- Due diligence – structure, water, damage, electricity, defects
- Close – agent, communication, paperwork, signatures
- Transfer – deeds office, registration, rates & taxes accounts
- Remember – insure, maintain, protect and use the property
Great Property Agents will help to
- Educate – current trends and market conditions
- Analyse – your property needs and wants
- Guide – in terms of your criteria and affordability
- Coordinate – with professionals and service providers
- Negotiate – with the seller and agency for you
- Check – paperwork, processes and deadlines
- Inform – reminder and keep you up to date
Our Additional Services
- Preview properties on your behalf
- Take you through areas & neighbourhoods
- Inform you of newly listed properties
- Save time by previewing properties online
- Assist with valuations and recent sales